Over 25 percent of home deaths and 20 percent of home injuries are caused by fire. Fire hazards can be found everywhere, from the interior of a property to the exterior and certain things can affect how fireproof a building is, such as the construction technique and the selected building materials. The aftermath of a serious blaze can have devastating effects on family or business life and probably the most overwhelming ramification of a fire will be the loss of personal possessions. Although some items cannot be revived following an inferno, there are ways to banish smoke damage during the recovery process.
The Cleaning Procedure
It is essential to kick-start the cleaning procedure as soon as possible after a fire breaks out. Not only can fire damage affect the condition of a property but it can also negatively affect health. Smoke inhalation can cause asphyxiation and irritation to the lungs, proving why it is so important to work on initiative. The following tips will prevent a property from being completely incorrigible:
Hiring a Professional
- Open windows to keep the indoor space ventilated.
- Use a dehumidifier to withdraw residual smoke.
- Use towels or dry cloths to wipe surfaces and dry the affected areas. This will prevent mold growth.
- Focus on areas that are covered with black residue (soot) and vacuum soot particles.
- Place all textiles and materials in a washing machine with strong washing detergent.
- Use a bristle brush to scrub walls with soapy water. This will diffuse and lift the soot.
Sometimes, the damage caused by a fire can be difficult to remove with basic methods. In this case, smoke damage professionals should be hired. Companies that offer these services will use special chemicals, tools and equipment to return ceilings, floors and walls to their original state. Professionals will understand what steps to take during the restoration process and they will also prevent further problems from arising.
There are many ways to find a fire restoration company and the more time devoted into finding assistance, the better the final result will be. Because a fire can happen at any time of the day, it is beneficial to locate a professional who can work 24 hours a day. The following methods are used by experienced smoke damage removal companies:
- Dehumidifying - This removes moisture from the air and surfaces.
- Thermal fogging - This neutralizes the air and abstracts smoke odor from the air.
- Deep cleaning - This will involve cleaning the areas of a property that have not been too heavily damaged by smoke.
- Ozone treatments - Electrical currents travel through the oxygen with this method, resulting in better air quality.
The techniques used by a professional will differ depending on the company. It is a good idea to contact a company to visit the property before any work is completed. This will make it easier for them to decide what techniques should be used, based on the seriousness of the problem. Recognizing Fire Hazards for Safety
Gaining knowledge on fire hazards will reduce the risks of a blaze in the future. While some fires can be unavoidable, the majority are caused by four different types of hazard. These are:
- Flammable liquids - Flammable liquids can be found hidden around the home, such as air freshener, paint thinners, cleaning fluids and oil, to name a few.
- Combustible materials - Combustible materials can ignite from the smallest flame or spark and these can be found indoors and outdoors.
- Disguised dangers - Some hazards cannot be seen, such as electric blankets or lighting fixtures stored near books and other items.
- Electrical hazards - Overloaded electrical outlets can get too hot and cause a fire. Frayed wires and faulty appliances should be replaced.