Mold Testing

Mold Testing

Our company started in 2002 in the industry of residential / commercial mold inspection and mold abatement and remediation. We are nationally certified through the Certified Mold Inspectors and Contractors Institute as Environmental Hygienists, Property Mold Specialists, and for Certification in Remediation. We also have the (CRMI) certification through the Indoor Environmental Standards Organization — the nation's leading authority on Environmental Assessment, Mold Inspection, and Remediation.

Did You Know?

Dangerous molds and other allergens may be lurking even in the cleanest home, making you sick.

Indoor mold can trigger allergies or allergy-like symptoms affecting the upper respiratory system. Although other, more serious problems may occur if people are exposed to very high levels of mold, the most common complaints are:

  • nasal and sinus congestion
  • cough
  • wheeze/breathing difficulties
  • sore throat
  • skin and eye irritation
  • upper respiratory infections (including sinus infections)

The effect of mold on different people can vary widely. However, long-term exposure to high levels from indoor mold growth can eventually be unhealthy for anyone. The following groups of people may be at greater risk than others:

  • infants, children, and the elderly
  • individuals with respiratory conditions or sensitivities such as severe indoor allergies and asthma
  • persons with weakened immune systems (for example, people with HIV infection, chemotherapy patients, and organ transplant recipients)

Mold/Mildew/Fungus Remediation Explained

Molds are members of the fungi family, and molds are the cause of most organic indoor air hazards. When used to describe stains and odors in buildings, mildew is another word for mold.

How can I tell if I have a mold problem?

While all buildings contain some molds, certain buildings are at risk for or probably contaminated with dangerous or dangerously high levels of mold spores. Unfortunately, available mold test kits are unreliable, but there are mold-warning signs.

Buildings with high humidity levels, damp basements, large numbers of houseplants, damaged gutters that tend to back up, or damaged shingles, are at greater risk for mold contamination. More urgent indicators are leaks and leak stains, brown, yellow, black, or greenish-black stains, rotting wood, dusty air, a musty odor, an odor of mildew, flaking wallpaper, peeling baseboard tape, and bulging or warped walls and ceilings.

What are the health risks?

Trying to wish away those suspicious stains on the wall or the musty odor wafting from the ventilation system could endanger your health and the health of everyone who enters your building. Indoor mold contamination is unhealthy regardless of the type of mold involved, and even relatively harmless species of mold can aggravate allergies and respiratory problems, so it is best to keep your building as free from all molds as possible.

An odor of mildew means you are breathing volatile organic compounds (VOCs). VOCs are toxins released by mold. Depending on the type of mold in your building and the sensitivity of the people who enter your building, these VOCs can range from mostly harmless to lethal. Infants, children and the elderly, asthma sufferers, and those with chronic health problems are most in danger from all molds and are more likely to have sensitivities to the buildup of less harmful molds.

What can I do to reduce mold contamination?

Sometimes tossing out moldy old pillows and sofa cushions, replacing suspicious-smelling carpets, and using bleach or white vinegar to clean mold from garbage cans, appliances, and floors and tiles is all it takes to clear your air. Sometimes it takes biohazard suits, special equipment, and a thorough understanding of building materials, molds, and effective, safe decontamination procedures.

How do I know I need a mold, mildew, and fungus remediation service?

Contact a reputable and experienced mold, mildew, and fungus remediation service if you have stained, warped, or bulging walls, blistering or peeling wallpaper, peeling baseboard tape, leaks, or recent flooding. All of these indicate a high probability of potentially lethal molds growing inside your walls, around pipes and ventilation ducts, and on rotting wood and drywall.

Visible black mold is a well-known warning that it's time to call in professionals, since some black molds produce deadly toxins, and it is impossible to know which kind of mold you are dealing with simply by looking.

Often mold causes health problems and building damage long before it becomes visible to occupants. Some molds, including a small number of very dangerous molds, are odorless and difficult to spot due to white or gray coloring. The first and only signs of contamination could be a sinus infection, asthma attacks, rashes, skin or nail infections, eye irritation, fatigue, memory loss, or dizziness. If you or others in your building experience symptoms that are unexplained or worsen in connection with your building, particularly symptoms such as irritability, confusion, and memory loss, it is vital to contact professionals immediately. A handful of mold species can cause brain, lung, kidney, and liver damage, cancer, infection, severe illness, and death.

Signs of mold may indicate a problem lurking within your walls, ceiling, or basement. Perhaps you have water leaking from the roof or a broken pipe, or steam condensing on a spore-friendly surface. Mold damages buildings, and decontamination means the removal of the contaminated materials, so the longer you wait the higher the cost of repairs. Rapid detection and response is good for your wallet and your health. Contact us today for a free consultation.

DO I HAVE A MOLD PROBLEM? - Common Signs of Mold

  • High Humidity
  • Water/Pipe Leaks
  • Flooding
  • Mildewy/Musty Odors
  • Increased Allergy/Respiratory Symptoms
  • Leaky Roof
  • Damp Basements or Crawl Spaces
  • Condensation or Rusting
  • Discoloration of Walls (Water Stains)
  • Cracked, Peeling Paint
  • Warped Wood

  • Black Growth in Bathroom Tiles
  • Loosening of Drywall Tape
  • Visible Biological/Mold Growth
  • Poor Ventilation
  • Presence of Wet Materials Indoors
  • Appliances Not Vented Outdoors
  • Blocked Gutters / Poor Drainage
  • A/C Vents Dirty
  • Attic / Airducts Sweating
  • Poor Shower Ventilation